Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kroot batch painting


Remember this guy?

Time to get him some friends!


With the summer vacation nearing it's end and with it the good weather, I feel my Warhammer juju returning and decided to get cracking on the Kroot for which this little guy was the test subject (along with his brightly colored siblings which were freaks of nature and doomed to fail)


Speeding things up, I decided to do these guys' bases along with the rest of the model, thus allowing me to coat the entire model in sepia wash instead of first the model, then afterwards the base.


This is after the sepia wash. You can also see the 2 flying stands that get the same treatment. They are from the 2 gun drones that I finished this weekend as well.


I was looking for an easy way to get a grip on my models while applying the wash, and this was the first idea I came up with. A while ago, I added metal washers to the bottom of my Tau Empire models' bases to give them a little more weight, which feels nice when handling them.
An added benefit of the washers is that magnets stick to them, so I put a rare earth magnet in my hand drill (which isn't magnetic) and stuck it to the washer, allowing me to easily handle the model while washing.


Then last night, I had another idea... why not use multiple magnets to stick multiple models to a metal handle... enter 3 Kroot, 6 magnets and a metal spoon...


As you can see (if you try really hard :p) I did the highlights on the Kroot, the purple washes on the armor plates, the red eyes and I basecoated the metal and other red details. The only thing that needs further work is the metal, which needs a shade and highlights and the red details which also need shading and highlighting.


And yes, the models are thoroughly affixed to the spoon :D

As a final bit of candy, here are the two finished gun drones:

All they need is a coat of varnish and some static grass added to their bases, but I'll do them together with the batch of Kroot, once they are finished.

There you have it... I'm back in the saddle... well, until I leave for vacation in a week anyway :p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...